Located at 190 Meisner Avenue in what is now Lighthouse Hill, this historical home is a reminder of the Italianate villas that were once prevalent throughout Staten Island. The home was built around 1856 for the notable corporate attorney, state legislator, and civic leader, Nathaniel J. Wyeth. The house actually holds the title as one of the earliest rural residences in the Italianate style built on Staten Island.
Wyeth was born in Baltimore in 1830, and was admitted to Harvard at the mere age of 16. Following his time at Harvard University, he entered Harvard Law School, graduating in 1852 and beginning to practice law in New York in 1853. A year after this he married Ann Frost, soon after purchasing land in Lighthouse Hill to build his beautiful home. Although he continued to practice law in Manhattan, he also practice in his home and became very active in civic causes, serving as a Staten Island representative in the State Assembly. The couple continued to live there until Ann Wyeth died in 1914 and Nathaniel died two years after. Their four children were all living away at the time of their parents death so the house remained empty. Throughout the years the home saw new owners and underwent extensive renovations to the interior and exterior. In 2007 the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission held a hearing, where the home was deemed a historic landmark.
This historic home continues to inspire a feeling of romance atop Lighthouse Hill. Stay tuned to our website tomcrimminsrealty.com to see the multitude of other historical landmark homes located throughout Staten Island.