About The Conference House
The Conference House (formerly known at the Billopp House) is a two-story, rubble stone masonry building constructed circa 1680 by Christopher Billopp. Originally rectangular in plan, the house was extended in the 18th century with the addition of a one-and-a-half story kitchen wing.
The Conference House is named in honor and commemoration of the famous peace conference of 1776. On September 11, 1776, Continental Congress representatives John Adams, Edward Rutledge, and Benjamin Franklin met with the King’s representative, Lord Richard Howe, at Colonel Christopher Billopp’s home on Staten Island. The British would not consider independence a negotiable term and the congressional representatives had been authorized only…
1362 Views, 0 Comments