Staten Island During 1830sPosted by Tom Crimmins Realty, Ltd. on
The opening of the Sailor's Snug Harbor kicked off Staten Island in the 1830s. This decade was developmental for the Island and paved way for the establishments we know today.
July 1837 - Richmond Co. Mirror is published.
Numerous other newspaper companies existed on the Island before the Advance; the first newspaper was the Richmond County Mirror in 1837. The paper covered topics in Manhattan and Staten Island. The founder was Francis L. Hagadorn, who was a son of a New York newspaper editor and an active General in the state militia.
Its slogan was: "a weekly paper printed on Staten Island, devoted to science, literature & news."
New Brighton housed the original offices until 1839, when it was decided to move to Stapleton. The last issue was…
4900 Views, 0 Comments