The Conference House (also known as the "Billopp House") is a historic house on the South Shore of Staten Island, in the beloved neighborhood of Tottenville. It was built in the 16th century and is famous for holding the Staten Island Peace Conference on September 11, 1776.
Captain Christopher Billopp came to America in 1674 after years of service in the Royal Navy. He was given a land patent on almost one thousand acres on the southernmost tip of Staten Island. Archaeological evidence shows that the Raritan band of the Lenape camped in the area and used the location of a burial ground, now known as Burial Ridge.
According to legend, Captain Billopp's seamanship secured Staten Island to New York, rather than to New Jersey - a bet was…