The opening of the Sailor's Snug Harbor kicked off Staten Island in the 1830s. This decade was developmental for the Island and paved way for the establishments we know today.
July 1837 - Richmond Co. Mirror is published.
Numerous other newspaper companies existed on the Island before the Advance; the first newspaper was the Richmond County Mirror in 1837. The paper covered topics in Manhattan and Staten Island. The founder was Francis L. Hagadorn, who was a son of a New York newspaper editor and an active General in the state militia.
Its slogan was: "a weekly paper printed on Staten Island, devoted to science, literature & news."
New Brighton housed the original offices until 1839, when it was decided to move to Stapleton. The last issue was published on October 5,1839; Mirror had become known as the "Staten Islander."
The Staten Island Advance opened 1886 in Grasmere.
1839 - Island’s first Roman Catholic parish, St. Peter’s, is established.
St. Peter's Church is the oldest parish on Staten Island, located in New Brighton. Bishop Hughes decided to open St. Peter's Parish when the Roman Catholic population on the Island increased and prevent Islanders traveling to Manhattan or Brooklyn.
Masses were held in abandon buildings until March 1844, when the church was built. Unfortunately, the original building was burnt down and another was built in its place. Once the new church was built, grammar school, high school, and a cemetry were established under the Parish.
In June 2011, the elementary and girls' high school was shut down for renovations and to make room for a public school that will be opening. The Elementary school merged with St. Paul's Elementary.