What is curb appeal and why is it necessary?
It's exactly what it sounds like - curb appeal is how appealing or aesthetic the exterior of your property looks from the curb of the street. It's a very important aspect of buying and selling a property, considering the outside of the home is what first catches a prospective buyer's attention. If the exterior is unpleasant looking or foul then the chances of a possible buyer decreases immensely.
Ways to improve your curb appeal:
There are several easy and affordable ways to improve your curb appeal.
- Add some finishing touches: painting the door, or even adding something small like a welcome mat, can boost your home's curb appeal.
- Planting a garden: planting a garden or just adding potted plants can brighten up the exterior of your home and draw in more potential buyers with the vibrant colors of nature.
- Repair your driveway and path: if your driveway or paths are cracked or dirty, it creates a worn down appearance, however if they're pristine, it creates a excellent aesthetic. Simply giving your driveway or stone path to your front door a cleaning can give the impression to potential buyers that you take great care of your home.
- Don't forget the roof! many homeowners bypass a missing shingling, however these are things potential home buyers notice, so an intact roof is an important curb appeal item.
- Having polished numbers: making sure the house number is clean and easily visible is an easy way to make your home more presentable.
- Pressure washing: using a pressure washer to clean the deck, dirty siding, stained driveway, or even walkway is a quick and affordable way to improve your curb appeal. Most home improvement stores have ones you can rent, if you don't own one yourself.
- Bring in the light: opening the shutters, curtains, or blinds can instantly brighten up your home's inside, and natural lighting is very appealing to potential buyers.
After evaluating your home's curb appeal and maybe even taking some suggestions, you can call or visit one of our Tom Crimmins Realty offices. We are replete with wonderful agents who can give you even more tips for selling your home and fulfill all your home buying and selling needs.