Veterans Park is the oldest park on Staten Island. First mapped in 1836; thirty years later, the town became known as Port Richmond. In 1898, this open area was named Port Richmond Park.
In the 1920s, a police booth was built in the park courtesy of the Police Department and Parks. In 1949, the park was renamed by local law as a tribute to American veterans. Once an iron fenced property, it is now open for the public.
A granite water fountain stands in the Park as a monument honoring Eugene G. Putnam in 1915. Putnam was the school principal of P.S. 20 for over 15 years.
The Park has a second monument; a bolder with a plaque comemorating John Sullivan is located on the Park Avenue side. In the summer of 1777, he was an American Revolutionary War officer who lead an attack to overthrow the British that were occupying Staten Island.
In late 1996, the park’s sidewalks, paths and panting were renovated with over $500,000 funds provided by Mayor Giuliani and Borough President Guy V. Molinari. (NYC gov parks)