History

A detailed timeline following the history of Staten Island from the first inhabitants to modern day society.

Found 66 blog entries about History.

The William Cass house, also known as The Crimson Beech, is a historical home located on Lighthouse Hill. This house received its name from an old copper beech tree that once sat on the land which William and Catherine Cass acquired for their home. The tree remained there for 10 years until a hurricane destroyed it and a new one was planted. 

The architect behind this house, and many other important buildings around the country, such as the Guggenheim Museum, is Frank Lloyd Wright. Although he is more known for his larger architectural masterpieces, he also created many houses for middle-class people in the mid 1900s, after the Great Depression ended. The houses he built were primarily in 2 styles, the Marshall Erdman Prefabricated Houses #1 and #2,

1,230 Views, 0 Comments

In Staten Island's very own Historic Richmond Town, lies the Seaman Cottage. It was built by Henry I. Seaman from 1836 to 1837. It originally resided on the south side of Center Street between St. Patrick's Place and Moore Street, at 218 Center Street. Now it has been relocated to the north side of Center Street between Court and St. Patrick's Place, at 441 Clarke Avenue. 

Seaman first purchased the land in 1836 after marrying his second cousin, Katherine Seaman, heir to the Seaman-Kortwright family real estate fortune. As a result of this, he has the ability to pursue a number of business ventures, including the development of the Seaman Cottage.

This home is a Cottage from the Greek Revival Era from the late 18th to early 19th century. A cottage

819 Views, 0 Comments

The Britton Cottage is located at the foot of Court Place. It was originally located in New Dorp Beach but was moved to Historic Richmond Town in 1965. This is a one and a half story wood-framed house that was built around the 1670's. Additions to the house were made to the house later on. The house was first conveyed to Obadiah Holmes in 1677, Holmes was a clerk. It was believed that the house was used as a public building as well as a residential living area. In 1695 the cottage was conveyed to Nathaniel and Elizabeth Britton, they helped establish the English Presbyterian Church in Staten Island,1729.  They lived in the cottage until 1714. Thomas Walton then resided in the cottage and few more people after. Eventually it was inherited by Harriet Lord

833 Views, 0 Comments

The Vanderzee- Harper House is located at 327 Westervelt Avenue, in the St. George area of Staten Island. The house was built circa 1887 in the Queen Anne style with Shingle style details. After purchasing the property which the house now sits on, Margaret Shields and her husband Gordon Doane Vanderzee maintained ownership until 1920, followed by occupancy of renters and later the family of Thomas Harper. Harper owned the home for over twenty-five years, therefore why he is acknowledged in the house's name. Although the Vanderzee's remained owners until 1920, they relocated to Philadelphia in 1895, five years after the birth of their son.The house was officially designated a landmark by the Landmarks Preservation Commission on August 11, 2009 . Recently

956 Views, 0 Comments

This home located at 70 Satterlee Street, is among one of the five historic homes situated on The Conference House Park, in Tottenville. In the late 1820s sea captain, Henry Biddle moved to Staten Island with his mother, who unfortunately died a little after a year later. Following that in 1831 he married Harriet Butler and they had two sons, William Henry and Charles Stevens. Following Harriet's death in 1842, Henry remarried in 1845, to Margaret, and during this period he constructed what is now known as the Henry Hogg Biddle House. This Greek Revival style home provides a beautiful panoramic view of the Raritan Bay and Arthur Kill, and still remains a crucial part in Staten Island's history. Last year, the house was actually used as an art exhibit,

1,714 Views, 0 Comments

The Bedell house is located at 7484 Amboy Road in the neighborhood of Tottenville. It was constructed between 1869 and 1874, and is unclear whether it was designed and constructed by James Bedell himself or his brother Isaac. James Bedell was a member of a prominent family that settled on Staten Island in the eighteenth century. James and his brother were both carpenters, and James also specialized in making cabinets, windows blinds and sash. In 1890 Bedell continued to use his house for more than just living, establishing a business, and using it as a funeral home. This house remained in residential use until 2005, when the free-standing Second-Empire style house was altered. This style of home was once a customary siting on the South Shore, however, now

1,034 Views, 0 Comments

This house is located on 1482 Woodrow Road,Staten Island, New York.  This property was the areas first African American purchased land in 1828. During the early 20th century this area was known as "Little Africa" or "Sandy Grounds". Sandy Grounds was home to many African American Oyster men. By 1851 the house was occupied by Ephraim Bishop, by 1864 Isaac and Rebecca Coleman bought the house. Isaac served as a pastor for a church in Staten Island.  The house was originally built to be one and one half stories and does have some features of very late Greek revival style.  The house is wood framed,vinyl siding, and has a rubble stone foundation which is now mostly concrete. Today the house remains a reminder of the very early African American community.

663 Views, 0 Comments

This house was built around the 1840s in the Gothic revival style.  This house is located in Rosebank, Staten Island. The first to live here was Antonio Meucci and his wife Esther Meucci, they rented out their home to others. A short while after Giuseppe Garibaldi came to the US and Meucci offered him a place at his home and the two began working in Meuccis candle factory together. Soon after Garibaldi left Staten island to head back to Italy in 1854. Garibaldi was in the Italian military and he helped to unify Italy and soon his name was recognized all over the world.  In 1882, Garibaldi passed away and two years later a plaque was placed on the front door of the house in Rosebank.  When his dear friend Meucci died, the house was passed on to the Italian

779 Views, 0 Comments

Located at 190 Meisner Avenue in what is now Lighthouse Hill, this historical home is a reminder of the Italianate villas that were once prevalent throughout Staten Island. The home was built around 1856 for the notable corporate attorney, state legislator, and civic leader, Nathaniel J. Wyeth. The house actually holds the title as one of the earliest rural residences in the Italianate style built on Staten Island.

History

Wyeth was born in Baltimore in 1830, and was admitted to Harvard at the mere age of 16. Following his time at Harvard University, he entered Harvard Law School, graduating in 1852 and beginning to practice law in New York in 1853. A year after this he married Ann Frost, soon after purchasing land in Lighthouse Hill to build his

1,465 Views, 1 Comment

This craftsmen style bungalow home was constructed in West Brighton around 1920. The house received its name as the Mark W. Allen house after Mark Allen, who came to Staten Island as a carpenter and became an owner of a large building supply and construction company. He also served in the New York State senate in 1923-24 and was part of the Goethals Bridge and Outerbridge Crossing's development. He continued to be an active part of his community organizations, and lived in this house until his death in 1958.

This home is one and a half stories on the corner of Clove Road and West Raleigh. Although many craftsmen style bungalows emerged throughout the United States during the time the Mark Allen house was built, not many were constructed on Staten

1,151 Views, 0 Comments