In late March of 1886, the Richmond County Advance was first published.
Almost 30 years later, John J. Crawford, a printer, and James C. Kennedy, a businessman, put their minds together and created the four-page weekly paper. This became the forerunner to the Staten Island Advance. There were nine newspapers on the Island at the time, but the Advance surpassed all others. The paper wanted to provide "a live, independent, local newspapers, devoted to the interests of Staten Island."
Its name changed to Daily Advance before it became known as the Staten Island Advance.
|National Prohibition Park. Courtesy of Library of Congress|
July 1888, Prohibition Park in Westerleigh became a model community for temperance supporters.
In 1888, a newly formed National Prohibition Camp Ground Association acquired 25 acres of land that would become known as National Prohibition Park. The property held religious, temperance and educational meetings, and entertainment in hopes to create moral reform. The Park gave guests the opportunity to camp and host picnics. The location gained popularity and as a result, the Park's management acquired more land. Eventually, the name of the community was changed to Westerleigh.
June 1889, the first bridge from Staten Island to New Jersey is opened.
New York and New Jersey state legislature received bills regarding a secure bridge that links between Staten Island and New Jersey since 1868. Starting in the 1880's Erastus Wiman lead the Staten Island Rapid Transit Railroad Company (SIRT). In 1889, the SIRT put the Arthur Kill railroad bridge into construction; its purpose was to extend the industrial growth of the Newark-Elizabeth area into Howland Hook, Port Richmond.
The Arthur Kill Vertical Lift Bridge replaced the original bridge in 1959.