|South Shore Gold Course, Courtesy of americangolf.com|
South Shore Golf Course, now called Grand Oaks Country Club, is located in Rossville. Once known as Blazing Star, the property was renamed Rossville in 1836 in honor of Colonel William E. Ross, a wealthy local landowner. This neighborhood is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Founded privately in 1930 as the Mayflower Country Club, South Shore Golf Course property was acquired by the City throughout 1966 until 1982. Until 1984, Parks managed the course and the adjoining restaurant. At that time, the American Golf Corporation took over the management of - the course, the ‘grill room’ snack bar, and the pro shop.
In 1994, American Golf Corporation used $100,000 to rebuild greens. A new sewer line and a state-of-the-art irrigation system were also installed for the maintenance of the course.
Today, the restaurant, with its ballroom and dining, hosts many charity events and community meetings. The newly improved golf course continues to draw both visitors and lovers of the game. The mixture of private and public management, wild and cultivated land, creates an integrated parkland capable of pleasing visitors of varied tastes and interests. (nycgovparks.com)