There are many common mistakes renters make while apartment hunting. We broke down a checklist for potential rents into two parts. In case you missed it, here is Part 1 from last week.
- Are there carbon monoxide detectors and smoke alarms? Are they hard wired or battery operated? Is there a working burglar alarm?
- How about further security? Do you have your own exterior door and key or is it a common for all the tenants? Is it a buzz in set up? Are there security cameras or possibly security guard or doorman?
- Is there ample shopping nearby - even walking distance? Are these any nice restaurants close by?
- Is there a pet policy? You might not have a pet now but you may want one another day. Or you may not want to hear a neighbors dog barks from your apartment?
- Are appliances included? What if the refrigerator breaks? Who replaces it?
- Are there any parks, zoos or other points of interest nearby? Family fun is always nice if they are close.
- Did you measure the rooms? Don't rent before you know that expensive furniture fits!
- Who paints? Does the landlord? Can you choose the colors. if you are responsible for painting can you decorate to your taste?
- What is the policy on improvements? Can you make improvements? Can you put in new carpet or take the carpet up?