The Bedell house is located at 7484 Amboy Road in the neighborhood of Tottenville. It was constructed between 1869 and 1874, and is unclear whether it was designed and constructed by James Bedell himself or his brother Isaac. James Bedell was a member of a prominent family that settled on Staten Island in the eighteenth century. James and his brother were both carpenters, and James also specialized in making cabinets, windows blinds and sash. In 1890 Bedell continued to use his house for more than just living, establishing a business, and using it as a funeral home. This house remained in residential use until 2005, when the free-standing Second-Empire style house was altered. This style of home was once a customary siting on the South Shore, however, now they are becoming increasingly rare. James Bedell occupied the house with his wife Lucinda, daughter Evilina, and son Henry until his death at the age of 83 on January 6, 1917. The house was designated as a landmark by the Landmarks Preservation Commission on April 12, 2005, and continues to remind us of the history of Staten Island. Stay tuned to our website tomcrimminsrealty.com to see the multitude of other historical landmark homes located throughout Staten Island.