The island's first public high school, Curtis, was founded in February of 1904, as part of the city-wide plan to institute a public high school in each outlying borough. The school was named after well-known writer George William Curtis, who had moved to the neighborhood right before the start of the Civil War.
Curtis High School, located in New Brighton, is an architectural feat! The century-old building with its massive square tower, made entirely of brick and limestone, resembles the Neo-Gothic style of architecture, present in Medieval Europe. The building was designated as one of the landmarks of New York City in 1982.
Curtis has 10 specialized programs. It offers a wide array of both humanitarian and technical studies, as well as an honors program and advanced classes. Specialized tests and previous school grades determine whether a student is accepted into the program they choose. Additionally, Curtis has over 30 varsity sports teams, and numerous clubs for students to join.
Curtis is known by its school colors; maroon and white, and its mascot name; the warriors. The school has just over 2,500 students, and 130 teachers. It houses one of the most diverse student populations in Staten Island!