On Decemeber 31, 1747, Jacob de Hart petitioned for rights of a public ferry that will commute from Staten Island to Manhattan and to Bergen County, N.J.. However, in May the following year, John Beek and Jacob Corsen opposed de Hart's petition stated, from the Calender of Council Minutes 1668-1783, they "have for some years past, used to carry travellers from their lands to the City of New York and to the opposite shores of New Jersey."
Solomon Comes purchased De Hart's farm before his petition was reached, this meant the De Hart's prior petition was revolked. On March 17, 1748, the Calender of Council Minutes recorded that Comes' petition was granted to have a public ferry that will run between Staten Island and New York. Comes' Ferry became the first ferry established between Manhattan and the North Shore.